Working as an international student in Canada may be possible on your study permit, or you may require a separate work-visa. This depends on who your employer is and how many hours of work are available. A work-visa does not guarantee employment, but will allow you to take advantage of the opportunities that are already available.

There are several kinds of work available to an international student, with different permit requirements.

On-Campus Employment
International students in Canada can work part-time for public post-secondary educational institutions, and at some private institutions, using their study-permit.

Off-Campus Employment
Students who wish to work off campus must apply for a student work permit. You must be a full-time student for at least six months before you can apply. Once granted, the work-permit will allow you to work up to 20 hours a week off campus during the school term or during school breaks. There may be restrictions on types of employment available, or a medical examination may be required. Your student work permit is valid for as long as your study visa.

Co-op or Internship
Some programs include work-experience (also called co-op) in their curriculum. You must apply for the student work permit as well as the study permit if you are enrolled in such a program.

Temporary Foreign Worker Program Visa
A final option is to apply for a work visa under the Temporary Foreign Worker Program. This allows you to work full-time during your studies. As it is a temporary visa, it is important to allow yourself enough time in Canada to complete your studies.

If you are a full-time student, your spouse or common-law partner may apply for a work visa while you are studying.