· Bachelor of Education (BEd)
· Bachelor of Adult Education and Training (BAET)
· Bachelor of Religious Education (BRE)
· Combined Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Education (BA/ BEd)
· Combined Bachelor of Science and Bachelor of Education (BSc/ BEd)
· Combined Bachelor of Physical Education and Bachelor of Education (BPE/ BEd)
· Combined Bachelor of Music and Bachelor of Education (BMus/ BEd)
· Associate of Arts (AA)
· Diplomas/certificates

Program Length
· 5 years for concurrent combined degrees
· 4 years for bachelor's degrees
· 1-2 years for consecutive education programs
· 2 years for associate's degree
· 2-3 years for diplomas
· 12-52 weeks for certificates

· Consecutive degrees: 1-2 years of post-secondary study
· Bachelor's degrees: 1-2 years of post-secondary study; direct entry
· Concurrent combined degrees: 1-2 years of post-secondary study; direct entry
· Associate's degrees: direct-entry
· Diplomas and certificates: direct-entry

Areas of Study
· General studies, arts, sciences, education, community services
· Specialization areas include elementary, secondary and adult education; teaching English as a second language (TESL); language and literacy; drama; Indigenous education; physical education; music; religious education; early childhood education; educational psychology; special education; fine arts; history; math/science; biological sciences, chemistry, geography, physics; Jewish studies; social sciences; visual studies; career/trades and technology; moral/ethical education; health education; human ecology.

Special Features
· internship/ in-school placement

Everywhere in the world teachers play an essential, foundational role in building our society. Therefore, the many undergraduate university teacher education programs in Canada prepare international students for all kinds of career options. The four-year Bachelor of Education (BEd) degree in Canada has two main routes: elementary education and secondary education. In the elementary route you can choose a minor in early childhood education, educational psychology, English or French as a second language, French immersion, fine arts, language and literature, math/science, music, native education, Jewish studies, physical education, social sciences, special education, visual studies, or second language. Possible majors and minors in the secondary route include art, biological sciences, career and technology studies, chemistry, drama, English language arts, general science, mathematics, music, physical education, physics, social studies, health education, native education, religious and moral/ethical education, second languages and history. Availability of particular majors and minors depends on the university. A Bachelor of Adult Education and Training (BAET) may also be available.

In addition, there are two main ways to take a Bachelor of Education degree in Canada. Entering directly from high school international students can take the concurrent BEd, while studying in another Faculty at the same time. Or, they can take the BEd consecutively, meaning after undertaking a previous degree: in consecutive study, students generally apply to the non-education Faculty, and then after two or three years, depending on the program, transfer to the Education Faculty for the remaining two years. In both cases students graduate with two degrees. The most common combined degrees are Bachelor of Education with Bachelor of Arts (BA/BEd), Bachelor of Science (BSc/ BEd), Bachelor of Physical Education (BPE/BEd), or Bachelor of Music (BMus/ BEd). Within these degrees further specializations are possible depending on the BA or BSc major, such as drama, native studies, biological science, chemistry, geography, math, physics or human ecology. There are also specific Aboriginal/ First Nations teacher training programs--sometimes whole departments within a university--offering specific Indigenous elementary and secondary routes as well as certificates in Aboriginal special education assisting and classroom assisting. Programs like NORTEP (Northern Teacher Education Program) are offered at various regional centres affiliated with different universities. International students interested in teaching religion or Christian studies might consider pursuing a BEd or a Bachelor of Religious Education (BRE) at a Christian university in Canada, which might also have two-year university transfer programs in elementary or secondary education. Usually bachelor's degrees in education lead to teacher certification in that province, or can also lead into graduate and doctoral programs in education.

But it's not all about degrees: in the field of teacher education, universities in Canada offer a larger number of one- to two-year diplomas and certificates than in many other areas of study. Sometimes education courses are part of the Faculty of Health and Education, and diploma and certificate programs are offered in literacy instruction, special education teacher assistant or early childhood care and education. Or, within a Faculty of Education, there may be a specialty department dealing with special education or educational and counselling psychology offering diplomas and concentrations in developmental disabilities/ autism, behavioural disorders and infant development. Other specialty departments may exist for literacy education, curriculum and instructional studies. Virtually all teacher education programs in Canada include some kind of practicum or work placement component.

At the community college level, you'll find one- to two-year diploma and certificate programs in early childhood education, educational/ teacher assistant, Aboriginal education and special education assistant. You will need to do some hunting, though, since these programs can be tucked away in Faculties of Education, Teacher Education, Health and/ or Human Services, Social Development, Community Care, Community Services, Community Studies, Applied Arts, Human Studies, Aboriginal Studies, even Theology. Two-year university transfer programs in education are also often available, and Christian colleges may also have TESL, early childhood education, and educational assistant programs as well as Bachelor of Arts and Associate of Arts (AA) degrees with a major or minor option in Christian Education.

Private career colleges in Canada also offer programs in teacher education, such as basic or advanced early childhood education, educational/ teacher assistant, and TESL or TEFL. Don't discount a school because it's called a business college! Many of these and other general career colleges offer teacher education diplomas and certificates. Specialty colleges also exist for languages, Native education, human services or early childhood education.