If you are considering studying teacher education in Canada, your post-secondary planning process should begin as early as high school. Since teacher education programs in Canada are rigorous and can be competitive, it is important to plan your high school courses accordingly. Admittance to teacher education programs is typically in the third year; therefore, international students will need to complete pre-education courses. Make sure that you takes courses in communications, math, and an array of electives that reflect the area in which you might wish to teach (science, history, applied arts, etc.) to ensure that that you are well prepared for the schools and programs that make your list. Make sure that you can meet the minimum English or French proficiency requirements by taking any English or French classes.

If you are still in high school, and are thinking about becoming a teacher, there are several additional things that you can do to prepare and increase your chances for being accepted into the program of your choice:

  • UUndertake to read and study independently. This is a good way for international students to develop interests, expand knowledge and improve the vocabulary and reading comprehension skills needed for school in Canada. This will also help you if admission requirements include a personal essay, since you will be able to impress the committee with the knowledge you have built up of terms and issues specific to this area of study.

  • Admissions committees are often interested in international students' extracurricular activities and personal qualities. Consider joining school clubs, athletics, musical activities, and arts and drama, especially if you have excelled in one or more of these areas. This is also a good way to develop demonstrated leadership skills which are an important aspect of a competitive application.

  • Work experience--paid or volunteer--can also increase your chances of being admitted and is an achievement often regarded highly by teacher education schools and faculties in Canada.