Need money for nursing school or your health studies? Many nursing and allied health schools in Canada offer student scholarships and bursaries for nursing and allied health studies. Entrance scholarships for international students entering nursing and allied health programs from high school and other post-secondary institutions are usually awarded to new students with a record of academic excellence. Awards typically range in value from $250 - $5,000, are often renewable and are based on outstanding academic achievement, or a combination of outstanding academic achievement and leadership qualities. As well, international nursing and allied health students may be eligible for bursaries, which typically are based on financial need or on a combination of academic achievement and financial need and/or achievement in other areas such as leadership and community service. Work-study programs (involving part-time work for full-time students) may be another source of money for school.
These scholarships may cover tuition and residence costs. In some cases, no application is required as students are automatically considered when they apply to a given institution. Financial awards ofr international students in Canada may be offered by high schools, university and college nursing schools and health studies departments, professional organizations, local businesses and national chains, and charitable foundations.
- Start your search by talking to your high school career counsellor to learn what kinds of scholarships and bursaries may be available from your home country. Often high schools will offer awards to the best students or those most involved in club activities, which could include health oriented clubs such as those connected to health occupations, promotion of drug free environments, and awareness of AIDS/HIV.
- Most universities, colleges, schools and program departments in Canada offer entrance awards, either directly or through benefactors and foundations that support them. International students should contact an admissions advisor at the university, college, school or program department itself or look on the institution's website to identify the awards that are offered. Some scholarships and bursaries are program-specific and are limited to applicants to particular majors, diplomas or certificates within the field of nursing and allied health.
- Many local businesses and national chains will offer some kind of funding either in the form of scholarships or bursaries, and international students may be eligible for some of these awards.
- Many professional organizations will provide scholarships as a way of promoting their profession and ensuring the development of future health professionals. These could include the Canadian Association for the History of Nursing, the Aboriginal Nurses Association of Canada and more.
- And finally, there are a variety of charitable organizations, both Canadian and international, that provide literally millions of dollars of awards to post-secondary students.
For more general information on international student scholarships and financial aid, check out the articles on international student scholarships under each school type.