Many universities, colleges and schools in Canada offer student scholarships and student bursaries for international students applying to study engineering technology and applied technology. Awards typically range in value from $250 - $1,000. Work-study programs involving part-time work for full-time students on campus may be another source of money for school.
Student Scholarships and Student Bursaries
Entrance scholarships for students entering engineering- and applied technology from high school and other post-secondary institutions are typically awarded to outstanding new students, and are usually also available to international students. Bursaries are more typically based on a combination of academic achievement and financial need and/or achievement in other areas such as leadership and community service. These awards may be offered by high schools, colleges, professional organizations, local businesses and national chains, and charitable foundations.
· Start your search by talking to your high school career counsellor to learn what kinds of scholarships and bursaries may be available from your home country.
· Most universities, colleges, schools and program departments offer entrance awards either directly or through benefactors and foundations that support them. International students should contact an admissions advisor at the university, college, school or program department itself, or look on the institution's website to identify the awards that are offered. Some scholarships and bursaries are program-specific and are limited to applicants to particular majors, diplomas or certificates within an engineering technology or applied technology field.
· Many local businesses and national chains offer some kind of funding, either in the form of scholarships or bursaries, and international students may be eligible for some of these awards.
· Many professional organizations will provide scholarships as a way of promoting their profession and ensuring the development of future engineering technology and applied technology professionals. These could include aerospace technology, construction technology, manufacturing technology, transportation technology and more!
· And finally, there are a variety of Canadian and international charitable organizations that provide literally millions of dollars of awards to post-secondary students.
For more general information on international student scholarships and financial aid, check out the articles on international student scholarships under each school type.