What kind of high school education is available for international students in Canada?
Canada offers a variety of high school education options for international students, including public schools, private schools, co-ed schools, all-boys schools, all-girls schools, and Catholic and other Christian schools.

What is the difference between private and public high schools?
Public high schools are administered directly by the provincial government, and are funded by tax-payers. The curriculum is also designed by the government. Private high schools are funded mostly by student tuition, and have more control over the curriculum (which must still be approved by the government).

Do I need to wear a uniform? If not, is there a dress code of some kind?
Dress codes will vary from school to school. Private schools are more likely to have a uniform, or require a stricter dress code, but many public schools have dress codes as well.

What kind of recognition do Canadian secondary school diplomas receive?
Canadian secondary school diplomas are recognized world-wide.

What advantages does a Canadian secondary school provide for international students?
Canadian secondary school education offers world-class teachers and curricula, as well as the opportunity for international students to learn French or English in an immersion setting. It can also be easier to transition into a Canadian college or university from a Canadian high school.

Is financial assistance available for international students going to Canadian high schools?
As Canada has an excellent publicly funded school system, financial assistance for international students is limited. However, private schools requiring tuition may have financial assistance available to families who demonstrate need. You will want to double check with the school you are applying to.

What documents do international students need to provide when applying to Canadian high schools?
Students applying to study in Canada must submit official transcripts of their current schooling. Additionally, reference letters from school officials and language test scores may also be required. Check with the individual school. International students studying in Canada longer than six months will require a student visa, also known as a study permit. These are available from Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC). Depending on your country of origin, you may also need a temporary residence permit, which is also issued by CIC.

Which countries do Canadian high schools accept students from?
Canadian high schools accept international students from countries world wide, based on their own acceptance criteria. You will want to contact the high school you are interested in attending to find out their specific guidelines. International students at Canadian high schools come from Japan, China, Thailand, Mexico, Hong Kong, Taiwan, South Korea, and from across Europe and South and Central America.

Can I study at a high school in Canada for only one semester, or do I have to stay for a year or more?
Many Canadian high schools enroll students for a full year; however, shorter programs like summer programs and short term high school experience programs are also available.

Will there be someone to take care of me if I health problems?
Canada has a publicly funded health-care system, which is administered by each province. Some provinces include international students in their Medical Services Plan (MSP), while others do not. You should check with the province you are applying to study in. You may also wish to purchase extended health-care insurance from a secondary provider.

How are homestay families chosen?
Homestay programs screen families-who must apply--to make sure that they have the appropriate background and accommodation for taking in a foreign student. Homestay programs may be independent, or they may be run in affiliation with your school.

If I live at the high school, what are the rooms or dormitories like?
Dormitories will vary from school to school. You are likely to have a roommate or possibly several suitemates, and you may share a bathroom with either your suitemates or with all the students on your floor. There is usually a common-room with television and other facilities. Dormitories will always be kept clean and safe for students and have adult supervision.