What kind of middle school education is available for international students in Canada?
Canada offers a variety of middle school education options for international students, including public schools, co-ed private schools, all-boys schools, all-girls schools, and Catholic and other Christian private schools. Programs include high school preparation, language programs, outdoor programs and summer programs.

What is the difference between private and public middle schools?
Public middle schools are administered directly by the provincial government, and are funded by tax-payers. The curriculum is also designed by the government. Private middle schools are funded mostly by student tuition, and they have more control over their curriculum (although it must still be approved by the government).

Do I need to wear a uniform? If not, is there a dress code of some kind?
Middle school dress codes will vary from school to school. Private schools in Canada are more likely to have a uniform, or require a stricter dress code, but many public schools have dress codes as well.

What advantages does a Canada middle school provide for international students?
Canada middle schools offer quality teachers and programs, and provide an easy transition to Canadian secondary schools. International students also have the opportunity to learn English in an immersion setting.

Is financial assistance available for international students going to middle school in Canada?
Canada has an excellent public school system, and therefore financial assistance for international students is limited. Private schools requiring tuition may have financial assistance available to families who demonstrate need. You will want to double check with the schools you are applying to.

What documents do international students need to provide when applying to middle school in Canada?
Usually, international applicants must submit official transcripts (report cards, including translation where necessary) and language test scores. Additional documents, such as a reference letter from a school official and proof of your citizenship, may also be required. International students studying in Canada longer than six months will require a student visa, also known as a study permit. These are issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC). Depending on your country of origin, you may also need a temporary residence permit, which is also issued by CIC.

Which countries do middle schools in Canada accept students from?
Middle schools in Canada accept international students from countries world wide.

Can I study at a middle school in Canada for only one semester, or do I have to stay for a year or more?
Canada middle schools generally enroll students for a full year, but shorter programs--such as summer language programs--may also be available.

Will there be someone to take care of me if I have health problems?
Canada has a publicly funded health-care system, which is administered on the provincial level. You may also wish to purchase extended health-care insurance from a secondary provider. Additionally, Canadian law requires that all international students who are minors (under the age of 18) have a designated guardian in the country, so you are actually required to have someone responsible for you during your stay in Canada that you can go to for help.

How are homestay families chosen?
Homestay programs in Canada screen families that apply to make sure that they have are the right place for a student to stay. Homestay programs may be independent, or they may be run in affiliation with your school.

If I live at the school, what are the residences or dormitories like?
Residences or dormitories will vary from school to school. You are likely to have a roommate or possibly several suitemates, and you may share a bathroom with either your suitemates or with your floor. There is usually a common-room with television and other facilities. Middle school dormitories in Canada will always be kept clean and safe for students, and there is adult supervision.