What kind of high school education is available for international students in Alberta?
High school in Alberta offers a variety of options for international students, including public schools, private schools, co-ed schools, all-boys schools, all-girls schools, and Catholic and other Christian schools.

What is the difference between private and public high schools?
Public high schools are administered directly by the provincial government, and are funded by tax-payers. The curriculum is also designed by the government. Private high schools are funded mostly by student tuition, and have more control over their curriculum (which must still be approved by the government).

Do I need to wear a uniform? If not, is there a dress code of some kind?
Dress codes vary from school to school. Private schools are more likely to have a uniform or require a stricter dress code, but public schools in Alberta may also have dress codes.

What kind of recognition do Alberta secondary school diplomas receive?
Diplomas from high schools anywhere in Canada--including Alberta--are recognized for their quality world-wide.

What advantages does a high school in Alberta provide for international students?
Alberta high school education provides quality, government-regulated teachers and programs, as well as the opportunity for international students to English in an immersion setting. Going to high school in Alberta also eases the transition into Alberta colleges and universities, which are among some of the country's best.

Is financial assistance available for international students going to high school in Alberta?
Since Alberta has an excellent publicly funded school system, financial assistance for international students is limited. However, private schools may have financial assistance available to families who have difficulty paying tuition. be sure to double check with the high schools you are applying to.

What documents do international students need to provide when applying to high school in Alberta?
Students applying to study in Canada generally must submit official transcripts from their current school. Additionally, reference letters from school officials and language test scores may be required. Individual high schools in Alberta may have different reequirements. International students studying in the country longer than six months will require a student visa, also known as a study permit, which is issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC). Depending on your country of origin, you may also need a temporary residence permit, which is also issued by CIC.

Which countries do Alberta high schools accept students from?
Alberta high schools do not discriminate: they accept international students from countries world wide, as long as the student meets the acceptance criteria. You will want to contact the high school you are interested in attending to find out their specific guidelines. International students at Alberta high schools come from Japan, China, Thailand, Mexico, Hong Kong, Taiwan, South Korea, and from across Europe and South and Central America.

Can I study at a high school in Alberta for only one semester, or do I have to stay for a year or more?
Many high schools in Alberta enroll students for a full year; however, shorter programs such as summer programs and short term high school experience programs may also be available.

Will there be someone to take care of me if I have health problems?
Alberta has a publicly funded health-care system. International students may also purchase extended health-care insurance from a secondary provider.

How are homestay families chosen?
Homestay programs in Alberta screen families--who must apply--to make sure that they have the appropriate background and accommodation for taking in a foreign student. Homestay programs may be independent, or they may be run in affiliation with your school.

If I live at the high school, what are the rooms or dormitories like?
High school dormitories in Alberta will vary from school to school. Typically, you will have a roommate or possibly several suitemates, and you may share a bathroom with either your suitemates or with all the students on your floor. There is usually a common-room with television and other facilities. Dormitories at high schools in Alberta are always kept clean and safe for students and have adult supervision.