Applying to an FSL (French as a Second Language) program in Ontario means completing several steps that will vary between programs and school types (for example, FSL programs at high schools, colleges, universities and private language institutions). However, there are some general application guidelines to follow.

Step 1: Choose a program
Before you apply, be sure to thoroughly research the FSL programs available in Ontario. Consider program focus, length, academic or language level, etc.

Step 2: Double check the entry requirements
FSL programs at different school types often have different entry requirements, such as minimum grade, minimum age (some schools have age restrictions), letters from school officials, a prior knowledge of French, language proficiency test scores (DALF/TELF), and more.

Step 3: Know when and where to apply

  • Apply early

  • FSL programs in Ontario often have specific application deadlines for international students. Because program space is usually limited, applying as early as possible gives you the best chance of getting into the program you want.

  • Apply directly to the program

  • This step may vary widely between programs; the best way to find out about an FSL program's application process is to contact the institution offering the program. Find out whether you need to complete an online application or mail a paper application, and whether official academic transcripts must be sent from your home institution (including certified translations if necessary).
Step 4: Pay your application fees and any other fees
Most FSL schools and programs require payment of an application fee, and some will require you to pay all or a part of your yearly tuition (usually between $200 and $800 C$) before issuing your official letter of acceptance. This letter is necessary for applying for your Canadian student visa (also called study permit), so timely payment of fees is very important.

Step 5: Apply for your study permit
Once you have your letter of acceptance from an FSL program in Ontario, you can begin applying for your Canadian student visa (study permit). This permit is required for all international students studying in Canada for more than six months. The permit is issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC), and it is essential to leave enough time before the beginning of the FSL program to apply for and receive your study permit.