Alberta's public and private high schools offer a safe, caring environment in which international students will receive a globally recognized high school diploma of high academic standards. Alberta education follows standards set out by the provincial government and all teachers are professionally certified. The Alberta high school curriculum is diverse, ranging from core subjects such as English, Math, Social Studies, and Natural Sciences and electives such as Fine Arts, Languages, Sport Sciences, to Advanced Placement (AP) classes and the International Baccalaureate (IB) Programme. As well, Alberta high schools offer much support for international students â€“ English as a Second Language (ESL) courses and TOEFL/CAEL test preparation programs, career counselling, assistance in evaluating and choosing universities and programs and assistance with university and college applications.
Alberta also offers international students many pathways to postsecondary education. Students that graduate with an Alberta high school diploma may apply directly to an Alberta post-secondary institution or through the Alberta government's online application service, ApplyAlberta, to any of Alberta's 3 comprehensive universities, 2 undergraduate universities, 2 polytechnics, 11 community colleges and 5 private colleges. International students with earned post-secondary credits from a post-secondary institution in their home- or another country are also accepted by Alberta's universities and colleges and will receive credit for courses previously taken. And as an international student in Alberta, you are eligible to transfer credits from an Alberta college to an Alberta university. Then too, many Alberta community colleges have agreements with Alberta's universities that enable "block" transfer of an entire year's courses or a complete 2-year diploma or associate's degree into the second or third year of a bachelor's degree.
Why Study in Alberta?
- 26 publicly-funded post-secondary institutions and 5 private colleges offering internationally recognized curriculum in world-class, technologically up-to-date facilities.
- A broad range of public, separate and boarding schools located throughout Alberta offering internationally recognized high school diplomas approved by Alberta Education.
- Alberta school' tuitions and fees are competitive and substantially lower than that charged by US schools.
- Representing over 80 cultures, Alberta is the third most culturally diverse province in Canada and welcomes international students. Although English is the most commonly spoken language, it is not uncommon to hear conversations in other languages.
- Friendly, safe learning and community environments. When you live in Alberta, you live in a community with 3 million friendly neighbours.
To learn more about Studying in Alberta, follow the links below:
Alberta Education System
Alberta Universities and Colleges
Alberta English as a Second Language
Alberta High Schools
Alberta International Awards & Scholarships
Alberta Medical Insurance
Alberta Education Facts